February 07, 2019
From the desk of Jamie Donovan
For me, that word brings a few things to the top of this Bostonian’s mind: freezing temperatures, snow, and, of course, flu season. Here are my favorite tips and tricks for staying healthy year round – but especially during event season!
1. Eat well! Load up your diet with fruits and vegetables to make sure you’re getting a heavy dose of vitamin C, which gives your immune system a nice boost. Tip… when I start to feel a little under the weather, I add some lemon to a cup of hot water with a bit of honey! Lemons have antibacterial properties that can help fight off infections, and the honey adds a bit of sweetness.
2. Self-Care! This is a little bit different for everyone, but I think the most important things about self-care is setting time aside to do something nice for yourself. Enjoy a yoga class, put on a face mask, maybe take a hot bath – or all three! Give your body the R&R it needs.
3. Sleep! Aim to get 8-10 hours of sleep in each night. This will keep your body stonier and less susceptible to colds and the flu. Finding a nightly routine to do before bed is the perfect way to unwind and get your mind ready to sleep. Be sure to put away all electronics!
4. Flu shot! While you are still at risk of getting a cold, this will lower your chances of coming down with a the flu. Children and elderly are at a greater risk for serious complications, so make sure you do your part and get your shot!
5. Wash your hands! Am I starting to sound like your parents yet?! This may seem like a trivial point, but it is so important that everyone helps to limit the spread of germs. It’s amazing (and sometimes scary) how many surfaces we come in contact with each day, and the germs that come along with it! Tip… hide a bottle of hand sanitizer in your purse, car, or desk for convenience and peace of mind!